August 17, 2011

Very Cherry

I have a short story for you.


My entire life I have been deprived of cherries. YES! anything cherry.


My lovely father, cant stand anything cherry. He can barely stand the thought of it.


So, naturally, since Dad didnt like cherries,


I just assumed I could trust his judgement and save myself the trouble of gagging and all that stuff.


Well needless to say, I went nearly an entire twenty three years before trying a cherry....and what I found out is, is that I LOVE them.


They are so delicious and I can't believe I went SO long without giving them a chance.


So this week for creative share, I have a little cupcake recipe in honor of the lovely Cherries!


Cherry VERY cupcakes



INGREDIENTS


1 cup unsalted butter, softened


4 eggs, seperated


2 cups sugar


1 cup whole milk


1/4 teaspoon almond extract


4 cups all purpose flour


3 teaspoons baking powder


1 teaspoon salt


4 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice


1 cup maraschino cherry halves


a few drops of red or pink food coloring


DIRECTIONS


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and sugar until very fluffy, about 5 minutes. Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. Set egg whites aside to be beaten. Add the egg yolks to the creamed mixture, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in extract. Add dry ingredients and milk, by alternating (beginning and ending with dry) until just combined. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites, and the cherries/juice. For pinker cupcakes, add a few drops of pink gel food colouring to batter.


Using ice cream/cookie scoop, fill white cupcake liners (if doing my decorated version, otherwise any liner of your choice) about 2/3 full. Bake until inserted toothpick comes just clean, about 18-20 minutes, but take care to not over-bake.


As soon as you have removed cupcakes from oven, carefully and cautiously (at the risk of stating the obvious, they’re super hot!) remove each of them from pan and place on wire rack.


FOR FROSTING
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 -4 tablespoons whipping cream
2/3 cup tart cherry preserves
malted milk balls or maraschino cherry, for garnish


DIRECTIONS


In a large bowl using an electric mixer, mix together the sugar and the butter on medium-low speed until well blended. Add the vanilla and whipping cream and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, until light, spreadable and fluffy. Beat in the cherry preserves until well incorporated.


Decorate with a piping bag and make them REAL cute!


Please stop by the Trendy Treehouse for other creative ideas.


night dears


Bs




No comments: